Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Course of Study - Then vs. Now

After analyzing the courses that I took back in the 1980s as compared to today, I realize that the more things change, the more they stay the same. So many of the required classes for students today, are eerily similar to the required courses for students today.  The biggest change that I see is an accelerated program of study.  Whereas a course that I took in 10th grade (for example), like Biology, most college bound students take in 9th grade.  Additionally, the big change is the AP label on so many courses.  Back in the 1980s, courses were not labed AP and we did not take the AP test. However, all of the courses I took were considered "college prep".  While my teachers worked to prepare us academically for college, they did not teach according to ANY set curriculum because that was PRE SOLs!!!
You can see MY program of study from the 1980s here and one for the present day here

No comments:

Post a Comment