Thursday, June 30, 2016

KAA - King Abdullah Academy

Yesterday the members of my cohort visited the BRAND NEW King Abdullah Academy in Herndon, Virginia.  I was completely taken aback by the beautiful new building and the progressive and comprehensive program that will be instituted. As the daughter of an architect, we spent many nights around the dinner table talking about architecture (and also visiting places to view their arctectural design).  The building is beautifully designed and well thought out.  I imagine it will inspire its students greatly.

I taught at the former school, the Islamic Saudi Academy, in the mid to late 1990s.  It was a fascinating experience and one in which I have reflected on numerous times over the years. This new school is an overwelmingly huge improvement in every way from the old school. When I taught at the school 20 years ago, I did not find it particularly innovative in terms of educatonal thought and theory.  This is not the case with the new school.  With a New Zealander at the helm as the Executive Principal, new ideas, perspectives and philosophies are being implemented.  A truly global and forward thinking appoach is being actualized through the development of its STEM program and global minded philosophy.

When I got home from the visit, I emailed one of my former students who must be in his mid 30s. This student atttented UVA and then went to Law School.  After working for the DA in Manhatten, he is home in Northern Virginia, happily married to a women from Baharain with a small daughter. During our correspondence, he told me (to my surprise) that he and his wife are looking at the school for their daughter.  While I know he and I would not have thought the previous school would be a great educational choice, I whole heartedly think that this would be an excellent school for his daughter!



No comments:

Post a Comment